(keitai-l) VoIP blah blah (was: Re: Siemens to market VoIP via WLAN for use with PDAs)

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 08/15/01
> WLAN VoIP (PDA/Game) device:

Not existent*) right now, so all talking is just speculation.
(* as a mass enabled device which any average user can
handle.)

> less mobile than cellular but far more mobile than a public phone -> convenient

Less mobile => less convenient :)

> cheaper than cellular, probably as cheap as a public phone -> cost saving

This depends who you are calling...there will be roaming
fees if you call from one network into the other. Pure
speculation.

> personal property -> highly personalised, not just a phone

Since these devices don't exist yet, while convenient
mobile phones are there already it will be tough to bring
them to market.

Lets look at an interims solution. A random cafe maintains
a 802.11b network. Since there are no handsets/devices yet
(except notebooks) who can use VoIP solutions and the random
average person who has a mouth to drink coffee but not one
of these devices (we are in Japan after all), the cafe provides
a wireless handset for rent inside their facilities. So you can
have a sip and a talk at the same time...what do you do now:

* You call your friends...on their mobile phone.
* You can not be called, except on YOUR mobile phone.
* You have to pay the call fees before you leave
  the cafe.

Sounds all not very convenient to me and don't
underestimate the last point. Keitais are convenient,
because you can pay later.

> And in case you haven't noticed, we weren't talking
> about anonymous nor free access.

It seems you didn't read my mails and URL's correctly.
I didn't talked about free like in beer, I talk
about a 800yen/hour network maintainer who leave a very
buggy technical solution wide open, so every random script
kiddie can access this anonymous and for free (like in
beer).

Actually everything you post sounds like:

* You just launched your startup and want to convince
  investors.

* You just invested in such a solution and want to
  convince yourself.

* You are Michael Natasha Pennington Turner and want
  to convince us that you are Benjamin Kowarsch.

:)

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht [Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc.] http://nooper.com