(keitai-l) Re: Need clarification

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 08/17/01
This means the writer of the article is confused and/or not very good at
English.

The idea is, for example:
Currently an email is max 500 bytes = 1.172 yen
FOMA email can be max 5000 = 1.953 yen
so sending "a big email" actually gets more expensive w/FOMA.

Another example:

But we shall see. Currently there are no "FOMA" contents (with the exception of
M-Stage Visual contents, which is a different billing system b/c it's a
circuit-switched 64k connection) so viewing existing i-mode contents on FOMA
handsets will be cheaper.

However, add in the time factor and perhaps a user could view pages 40 times
faster and therefore would view 40 times more pages in a typical viewing
session.
In that case the increase in viable contents (9.6 -> 384 = 40x) is greater than
the decrease in price (.0.3 -> 0.05 = 6x)

r e n

Manish Prabhune wrote:

> Hello guys,
> Kindly read the following text. An extract from today's Japantimes.
>
> ****************
> Charges for a single data packet, 128 bytes, are set at 0.05 yen for FOMA,
> or one-sixth of DoCoMo's i-mode service.
> But FOMA's transmission bandwidth is 384 kbps, or about 40 times wider than
> i-mode's 9,600 bps.
> Ironically, this means users will have to pay more to send or receive those
> packets.
> ****************
>
> Due to ignorance on my part, I have not understood why users have to pay
> more.
> Can anybody explain this to me.
> Regards,
> Manish
> www.imodeindia.com

ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144
hex: \x72 \x65 \x6e \x66 \x69 \x65 \x6c  \x64

e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

"Connecting people, ideas and capital,
we will be the world's first choice
for achieving financial aspirations"