(keitai-l) Re: Some iAppli questions

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 08/17/01
Thank to Manish Prabhune and David Cotter (and even
Paul Lester, sort of) for their feedback on my questions.

Manish <applet_graphics@yahoo.com> (www.imodeindia.com) notes:

> Hmmm I had earlier a similar question about being able
> to dial thru iAppli. I had got answers as "no". ...

I have hazy memories of this exchange -- I should've checked
the archives.  Thanks.

David <david.cotter@alatto.com> concurs, adding

>  ....I don't think you can control the volume from the
> iAppli in the case where you loop the musical piece. If the
> piece is long maybe it could have the different loudness
> in it but I'm sure a 10 minute piece would be greater than 10K.

Having half a dozen 20 second loops, differing only by volume,
each repeated a few times, would probably be gradual enough.
Anyway, 10 minutes was just a guess....experimentation is
required.

Paul <paul_lester@lincmedia.co.jp> begs to differ about
memory requirements:

> I am almost positive a 10 minute piece could be much
> smaller than 10k, I'd go as far to say it could be less
> than 1k. And I have clear ideas how volume can be
> controlled, in a hacky but effective way for this application....

...but in an ultimately unhelpful manner:

> Also I'm not giving away the answer on how.  That would
> involve divulging too much about MFi.

Can't have that, now can we.  :-/

> The phone part could be done also in a very round about
> way by somehow getting a server to dial a number....

Had considered that, and there are CTI (computer-
telephony integration) packages out there for just
this purpose.  I'd prefer that the user shoulder
all phone charges, but you can't have everything.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com

Earlier, I asked: