(keitai-l) Re: Profitable Unofficial Imode sites out there?

From: Ian McDonnell <ian_at_mcdonnell.net>
Date: 08/21/01
Virgil,

Another successful non official site, along the same lines as www.e-deai.com
as mentioned by lawson ,
is www.deai-station.com billed as Japans largest deai site.

-----
If you're interested in how they make tonnes of money read on:

Setup in June 1999, has had 2 million user registrations. I have heard that
recently more than half of usage is on various mobile phone browsers. They
try to block lots of the typical freemails (goomail, hotmail, yahoo etc) so
it is difficult for the average user to register twice.
They don't allow the more seedy kinds of "deai" you see in other sites with
school girls selling themselves for 3 man en, or married men & women
looking for
quick fun, and have positioned themselves as a "serious" deai site.

It's a dating site where you can register your profile for free and submit
"date" requests to other users who's profile you can search .
If the person you send the request to , "Agrees" to share their email
address with you , you must pay 1500Yen before you can get it.

I have read that they have an average of almost 3000 exchanges per day that
adds up to 3000*1500 = 4,500,000 Yen Per Day revenue!!!!
4.5 million per day at 30 days a month is 135 million Yen revenue per month
.
They probably lose 10-12% of the revenue on credit card fees and have some
minimal ( should be a lot less than 10 million Yen)  IT operation costs.

That leaves some magic number like 110 Million yen a month to pay for back
office & service staff, banner advertising and magazine placements and a
considerable profit.

There are countless success stories on the site and listed in many magazines
of people who have married after meeting on this site but there have also
been crimes (assault, rape, murder) committed against women by men who met
them on this and other sites.
But who cares as long as you make lots of money , right?
 ( non-native English speakers read this -: this last line was sarcasm -
don't start a new annoying thread on this. - That would be almost as
annoying as people quoting dictionaries to each other - go to ekaiwa for
that please.)

-/ deai = date (encounter/meeting)

Ian