(keitai-l) Re: KPN and NTT DoCoMo to unveil first joint product

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/24/01
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Anima wrote:

> KPN and NTT DoCoMo to unveil first joint product
> http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/08/22/e.mail.digital.camera.idg/
>
> Dutch mobile operator KPN Mobile NV on Thursday will introduce a small
> digital camera that can e-mail pictures via a mobile phone, the first
> product deriving from its relationship with NTT DoCoMo.

    The camera....is just a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes.

This must be some new definition of "small" I wasn't previously aware
of. Who's going to carry around a camera that size when you can get the
camera and phone together in one smaller unit? (Well, I guess you can't
in Europe, yet. And at this rate, you'll never be able to.)

And I wonder what they mean by "not cheap"? I don't think that "young,
spendy" people are not going to spend a huge amount of money on what is
essentially a quite limited toy. Being a "young, spendy" type myself,
I know that I'm happy to drop $100 on almost anything, but if it's $250
I start to think about it, and have to find some moral justification
to buy the thing, which this camera doesn't really seem to offer. (The
bigger the ticket, the more moral justification I need. Spending $1500 on
a sub-notebook had the "I'll use it for work, too!" justification. Yeah,
right.)

As for having to buy an extra service to transfer the photos, that's
ridiculous. There is no technical justification for that whatsoever;
they let you use a modem connection for anything else without charging
you extra, don't they? (Or are they saying you have to buy data service
period to be able to use it?)

I'll be interested to see how this works out. But I'm starting to wonder
if Docomo made a mistake, and the rest of the world simply isn't going
to be able to move at the speed Japan does when it comes to adopting
new technology.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org