(keitai-l) WAP concedes to imode?

From: Michael Moyle <michael_at_theory.org>
Date: 08/24/01
Michael,

Some changes...

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Moyle [mailto:michael@theory.org]
Sent: Thursday, 23 August 2001 4:54 PM
To: David Davies
Subject: WAP2 concedes to imode?

I was checking out this NTT press release

http://www.nttdocomo.com/new/contents/01/whatnew0802.html

WAP2 looks a lot more like imode FOMA than WAP1.2
Does this mean that WAP is becoming imode conformant and not the other
way around?

WAP Consortium has replaced WDP/UDP with TCP. They have moved to HTTP
and are supporting XHTML and XHTML browsers can read cHTML.

Overall they seem to have thrown out MOST of what was WAP and replaced
it with an iMode like architecture.

Surely this means that WAP has in fact conceded to iMode.

This perhaps also indicates that iMode is/was superior in a technical
sence.  If we look at iMode and WAP in terms of a solution for a real
need, then which one was the best solution ?

The Euro press adamantly pushes the line that WAP is better but why ?
What is better about WAP and if it was better why did they change 80% of
it to be more like iMode ?

Naturally the WAP Consortium, and the European telecom vendors would not
want to play up this issue, and it has received NO press (perhaps for
that reason) but the implications are truly significant.

Since Europe 3G netorks will also be W-CDMA (or similar) based doesn't
this mean that the Japanese handsets will also be easilly convertible to
work in Europe as WAP2 handsets ?

If so is Nokia well placed to compete against Sony etc. who may use
Playstation like dumping tactics to dominate the market ?

-mm

--

Michael Moyle
www.intadev.com