(keitai-l) PDA costs vs hanset costs (was Re: [no subject line])

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 08/31/01
From: "David Davies" <david@intadev.com>

> Given that you can make a PDA with a big color screen, lots of memory,
> fat processor, IR, etc. profitably for $300 -$500 then why does it cost
> more to make a phone.
> Given that as a base it would not be unreasonable for phones to cost
> $200 or so.

Not that I claim to know the answer, but....

It can go the other way, can't it?  Meeting requirements of an
advanced handset -- say, 80% of what a PDA can do, plus
wireless telephony, in a chassis about 1/3rd the volume -- can
make everything more expensive.

After all, a new laptop computer is generally more expensive
than a desktop computer of roughly the same power, and
tends to be more expensive the smaller it is.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com