(keitai-l) Re: PDA costs vs hanset costs

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/31/01
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Michael Turner wrote:

> From: "David Davies" <david@intadev.com>
>
> It can go the other way, can't it?  Meeting requirements of an
> advanced handset -- say, 80% of what a PDA can do, plus
> wireless telephony, in a chassis about 1/3rd the volume -- can
> make everything more expensive.

If you're building a machine with the same capabilities, yes. But I expect
that they'll scale back on the amount of CPU and memory to something not
much more than an ordinary phone has now, which will keep costs in line
with those of ordinary phones. The only other difference is the software,
which is of course just a Simple Matter of Programming.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org