(keitai-l) Re: I just saw the strangest TV ad

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 10/03/01
Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, cfb wrote:
>
> > ...as opposed to DoSing the local 911 telephone service after
> > receiving an appropriatly formated SPAM e-mail?
>
> I don't understand. Why are we building the capability to call 911 into
> these, again? Not to mention the ability to receive e-mail?

Short answer:

   The future is lightly mediated thin P2P.

Long answer:

...maybe these pots have "extra" features that aren't advertised
and maybe they don't; the only way to know for sure will to be to
hack around with one.  My point was that just because it is PHS
based doesn't some  how make it immune from security issues,
as has been clearly demonstrated in the past.

In my experience,  designers are more apt to design in full
functionality from the start without thinking about the later
implications (one could argue that is the primary problem with
most Microsoft products).

Looking at the link provided by Jan (thanks!)... it seems obvious
that this service is having typical introductory teething issues
("The data is in the HTML format, so it cannot be viewed on an
Internet-enabled mobile phone.").  If I were going to redesign
the service, I'd probably put more of a P2P, napster like spin
on it (keeping the service provider costs down, but retaining
the ability to tap the info. flow), including providing the ability
for the subscriber to leave messages on the LED display of
the pot (one of the general laws of information exchnage:
the easier it is to use a communication channel, the higher
the probablity humans will actually use it).  After the guilt and
responsiblity sales factor wears off, the service provider would
be well advised to have some some sort of residual feature that
justifies an on going subscription.