(keitai-l) Re: Saturation reached? Keitai shops close...

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 11/10/01
Uh, no... It is my distinct impression that imode was NTT's
response to a PHS division that was severe  open wound
that did nothing but bleed money.  My understanding of the
economics is that, given the extensive 10 year PHS roll-out
and dismal voice handset campaigns, PHS has yet to pay for
itself even with the magical spin doctoring of abandoning it
as a voice network and using it almost exclusively for data.

Ask any good politician / manager and they will tell you that
reality is a simple matter of perception.  As a consequence,
you will find many people who disagree with me.  Middle
ground reality consists of a massive loss that has been spun
and shuffled around a absolutely *huge* quazi-governmental
organization and it would be difficult, if not to impossible, to
find that loss if you were to look for it today.

The single most important reason that 3G is taking so long
to roll out in other countries (and, in the end, may not be rolled
out at all) is that cellular carriers can not hide the massive
investment and risk it takes to build a network, with adequate
coverage and capacity, in such an easy manner that NTT was
able to accomplish.  Given the drop in growth, I believe that 3G
data networks equivalent to PHS and its successors will *never*
be rolled out in many parts of the world.  When you couple
this with the fact that that many cultures have become accustom
to obtaining their internet access in a more "traditional" way
and do not posses gadget-freak quality of the Japanese market,
this outcome becomes quite clear.  Sometimes, I wonder how
many governments will go into deficit because of uncollected
frequency spectrum "revenue".