(keitai-l) Re: iMode Mail

From: Pat Hourigan <pat_at_hourigan.net>
Date: 11/17/01
Nik,

At 01:47 PM 11/17/2001 +0900, you wrote:
>Pat,
>This capability has been around since the beginning of i-mode, in a service
>called remote mail. It works well, but it does NOT use the mail client, it
>uses the browser. I actually built the same thing at one point, and it
>really was not that difficult. I can't imagine paying too much for it.

I agree here, I think it is a better Idea if the isp or whoever offers it
as an included offering rather than charging for it.

>The question, I think, is not can you access POP mail from i-mode, which is
>obviously possible, and has been since the system was introduced. The
>question as I understood it was can you access mail through the mail client.

Fair enough,  in the time when I downloaded the first of this thread and
sent this message, I got all the others, so the timing of this is off.

You are correct I am using a browser for this not the imode mail client,
they even let you brand it with your company name.  It also has a true
browser page for pc, where you can get this info as well.  It seems similar
to how yahoo can hit your other pop boxes when you want to check your
mail.  It is interesting that this service is available on other keitai's
in japan, jphone for example, not just docomo.   But I guess part of my
point is for the general user who cares how it is done, as long as they can
access their mails.  I don't see it as a service which you would want to
automatically notified ala forwarding to your docomo mail.  We are getting
too slaved to email as it is at least I want the ability to decide when I
check it.

>Here is my take:
>On i-mode, you don't actually 'access' mail, in the sense that when you want
>to check it, you log on. It is pushed, the entire message, to the handset.

Well isn't this true with any pop client?  They all have to use acct/pw to
pop the pop3 boxes which download to your eudora client or whatever on your pc.

>When sending mail, the story is of course different, the mail going through
>an e-mail server within the i-mode center. I don't have the answer to
>whether or how you can re-set the handset to connect to a corporate i-mode
>environment rather than NTT DoCoMo's.

I don't know that either, but through this browser method you can use your
own smtp not theirs.

>I do know that on my (P209is) handset, there is an option to enter an i-mode
>center name, number, and host name. You can select this center to connect
>to, or DoCoMo's. When I attempted to connect using a center I input, I
>received a message saying "Incorrect Center". Since DoPa uses the same
>network, and the 209 series are compatible with DoPa, and because the way
>that DoPa connects to networks or the internet is through third-party ISPs,
>I am guessing that is where this setting came from. It should make, if you
>could get NTT DoCoMo to tell you how, connecting to a server other than
>DoCoMo's i-mode gateway server, possible. Then there would be the matter of
>reverse engineering the mail protocol used by the browser and building a
>mail server to do that. Of course, for all I know some NTT affiliate is
>hawking such a server already.

This is really what nttc is doing I think, because the diagrams I saw
showed that it connects first to their mail server.  You have the option of
connecting to that server, which then can automatically pop your mail or
you can send it to your mail server bypassing this, but to get these
headers I have to believe they are actually grabbing the messages and
storing them at least temporarily on their server. In any case when I later
checked my normal mail client I could see the messages.

>This is a good thread, and I wish that everyone on the list who knew the
>answer weren't prevented from sharing it by an NDA.

you are probably right.  I just have too many separate email that I hit for
different purposes, and while the one on my 502i is fine,  I am interested
in seeing one of my others through the keitai.

pat