(keitai-l) Re: /i directory

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/17/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net w
>rites:
>I have been looking through some of our server logs and noticed a large
>number of errors connecting to the /i directory. We have always
>delivered platform specific content dynamically so have never had to
>resort to /i to differentiate i-mode content but it looks like we will
>have to create one all the same.
>
>Anyone else has similar exper

What is "best practice"?

I used to sniff and serve*, but I gather this may be a problem for search
engines if you want them to index both web and imode sites. So now I sniff
for browser type and forward to a URL in the /i chain if appropriate.
Anyone hitting the /i chain with a browser will get an imode page
formatted for web (emoji replaced by graphics, accesskeys suppressed, etc
etc...)

I think at least a token /i page (and /j page) is pretty much a necessity.

nick

(For anyone not familiar with the terminology, by "sniff and serve" I mean
no more that that at a given URL one determines the platform capabilities
and selects and format data appropriately. Widely used for stylesheets,
more problematic when one serves to web/imode/jphone from the same URL.)
nces?