(keitai-l) The truth about mobile data

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11/19/01
Hi all,

Plenty of people have been guilty of either underestimating or overhyping
the mobile Internet in Japan. Not currently being in Japan myself, I all too
often hear more or less uncritical and misinformed statements of the state
of mobile Internet in Japan and the massive revenues allegedly generated.
(and I recall a heated discussion on this subject on the list a couple of
month ago, triggered by one of Daniel Scuka's newsletters...) The hype
overseas is often post-WAP peptalk from the operators themselves desperate
to make a buck from GPRS, or even more likely, from vendors and consultants
trying to sell them stuff (You won't see an Openwave presentation these days
that does not include a glowing case study on KDDI). The message? "Alright,
WAP used to be a dog, but just look at Japan - oboy, oboy are you guys gonna
make money with GPRS and 3G!"

In respons to this, I have written a short white paper (4 pages), more as an
internal thought provoker than anything else. Like many of you,  I'm working
for an organisation that's in the business of plugging mobile solutions to
anyone and his dog, and we are as guilty as anyone. Therefore, treat this
piece as mine, whose opinions do not necessarily represent those of my
company (KPMG Consulting).

Anyway, being such a knowledgeable and trigger-happy bunch of debaters, I
could not resist running this piece by the list for some input on the
matter. Any criticism encouraged.

Mika has been kind enough to put the document in the archieve on this
location:

http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/papers/daniel/

Cheers,

Daniel Helmer