(keitai-l) Re: Any other models apart from subscriber fees

From: Josh White <josh_at_blackbrick.com>
Date: 11/20/01
Jeffrey Funk wrote:
> ...In fact, there
> is probably more money being made in the Japanese mobile Internet from
> methods other than the subscriber fees now.

By "money being made" do you mean revenue for the developer?  If so, this is
news to me.

The actual i-mode developers I've heard of (which is not a huge sampling, I
admit) all get healthy income from users directly.  For example, NetVillage's
website says they have 350,000 users and charge 200 yen per month. Hm, maybe
some of those users are not paying subscribers? Or perhaps NetVillage has
other revenue that dwarfs 70m yen monthly?  Or is NetVillage a rare success,
while most developers live on nothing but consulting fees, walking to school
barefoot in the snow?

So I ask more specifically: (citing examples scores triple! :-)

Are the I-mode developers you've heard of making most of their money from
subscriber fees or other sources?

-Josh

PS - Netvillage numbers from http://www.netvillage.co.jp/eng/corp/index.html