(keitai-l) Re: The truth about mobile data

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 11/20/01
timecop@japan.co.jp wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Renfield Kuroda wrote:
>
> > Not true. Lastest handsets are specifically designed for more than
> > talking; they have larger screens and bigger buttons. As you note
> > below, data-enabled handsets are larger and have bigger buttons to
> > fascilitate thumbing.
>
> And lower battery life, and bigger screen (why, you can see the telephone
> number just fine on a 10x2 alphanumeric display), bigger buttons, bigger
> size in general (why, I thought they stopped selling big phones a few
> years back, is the trend returning now)?

The trend is in fact reversing. Note the growing popularity of folding
handsets, unheard of pre-imode.

> > Since you asked, yes I have downloaded and customized my ringtone. And
> > no I'm not a musician. The answer to why so much money is being made
> That has to be a lie, or else you don't use docomo phones. You cannot
> customize the melody that you download from i-mode or from a ringtone
> machine. You can keep it, sometimes you can send it to another phone with
> IR, but you sure as hell cant customize it, not in any recent models.

I don't appreciate being called a liar. I believe you mean customizing in the
sense of modifying the actual ringtone file whereas I mean customizing in the
more general sense of using more than just the ringtones that came with the
handset, setting different ringtones for different incoming calls/messages,
making my own ringtones and uploading them to the phone (quite easy to do with
software like Keitai-Edi).

> > ? They don't assign an IP to every handset, just to the gateways.
> Great, that was very clear from their "technical" flash-filled website.
> Mind pasting some links with relevant information?

http://catalog.dummies.com/product.asp?isbn=0764507265

Regards,

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

"Connecting people, ideas and capital,
we will be the world's first choice
for achieving financial aspirations"