(keitai-l) DoPa / Imode Question (was: The truth about mobile data)

From: Jon Anderson <jon_at_dac.co.jp>
Date: 11/20/01
Going back a few years, a question:

Does the packet system for imode utilize the same basic technology,
networks that the DoCoMo's DoPa system used?  If the technology
was already developed for DoPa, then I would imagine the cost of
implementing it country-wide was not all that significant when
compared to 3G FOMA services.

My thought being, back in the late 90s, DoCoMo has a existing, but
un-profitable packet network.  At least I'm assuming it was unprofitable
since there were few handsets at the time.  Then the whole PocketBoard
phenomenon takes off and someone sees an opportunity to re-position
the system in the market as a consumer service, not a business service.

With all the marketing in Europe/US being aimed originally at business
users as opposed to consumers, this might be good evidence for the
effectiveness of the DoCoMo strategy.

I also have to agree that the telco's strategies play a role in the success
of mobile Internet services in Japan.  Lots of content, easy payments,
subsidizing handsets with revenues from content (same as Sony and
Microsoft for the Playstation 2 and Xbox respectively for another
example).  The winning service benefits from a positive feedback loop
of more users -> more developers -> more content -> more appealing
service.

As a side note, it is a risky strategy too.  Microsoft is spending US$ 500
million to promote the Xbox and will not show a profit for a few years.  And
this assuming they succeed.  Playstation 2's low software sales did
damage to Sony's bottom line last year.  Then again, before the PS2, the
Playstation division was Sony's most profitable.

I still believe there are some cultural catalysts to the fast up-take of
mobile Internet here in Japan, but that won't matter unless you the
right content and product.

Jon

P.S. - It wouldn't surprise me if this was covered in one of the many
DoCoMo-related books, but I've never bothered to read them.