(keitai-l) Re: Nokia is in !

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 11/26/01
Nokia appears to be positively perceived in Japan as far as I can tell
from a very recent experience which may be interesting for readers on
this list - well I hope at least it will be amusing ;-)

I recently did some radical house cleaning and decided to put up
anything for auction that I expected I would not be using within a
period of two weeks. One of the items I put up for auction on Yahoo
Auctions Japan was a DoCoMo Nokia mobile phone which I bought in early
1999, almost 4 years ago.

I submitted it for 1000 yen but expected I would have to resubmit later
on for 500 yen or perhaps as low as 100 yen to get rid of it. To my
surprise, the day the auction was about to close, a bidding war started
and the phone sold for a whopping 4500 yen. The winner, an NTT employee
shelled out close to 5500 yen incl the cost of shipping and bank
transfer for this almost 4 year old Nokia phone. Wow !

I also sold a 5 year old Kenwood (J-Phone) and a 3 year old Toshiba
(Astel PHS) but they went for 100 yen  with only one bidder each and
that was surprising enough.

The guy who bought the Nokia said he wanted a Nokia because he wanted
something good and not so common ("mezurashii mono ga hoshikatta desu").

I also had two guys fighting over an old VAXstation which I had not
expected to be able to sell at all. They too, were enticed by the thrill
of owning a "legendary VAX". Who says there are no individualists in
Japan ;-)

I am now wondering if there is any collector out there who might pay a
premium price for my  Panasonic Astel PHS phone, bought on the day Astel
started service - Probably I will need to wait until October 2005 when
there will be some 10th anniversary of Astel publicity in the media ;-)

rgds
benjamin