(keitai-l) Re: How fast are those Japanese thumbs ?

From: David Davies <david_at_intadev.com>
Date: 12/01/01
On Fri 30/11/2001 7:24 PM  Graham Brown wrote

>> Anyways, kind of besides the point for the subject of posting - fact
of the matter
>> is that whatever the chosen alphabet, kids are a darn sight faster
than we are...

mmm... nostalgia,   frightening thought, we're OLD

I vaguely remember when our school recieved a a couple of the first of
Apple [something] computers with this 'mouse' thing attached, it took
students all of 5 minutes to become adept.

10+ years later (mid 90s) a LOT of executives were still stuggling to
figure out the concept, and handled a mouse with the same assiduousness
as it were a surgion scalpel.  To 'kids' that grew up with the concept
it was truely second nature.   Some of the older folk had retrained
themselves at that point and by now most of them have got it.

Perhaps, just as the mouse became more refined so will the keitai key
pad, and the generation that grows up with it will never realise that
there was any other way.
(Either that or the technical labs of the world will finally come true
with the promise of workable voice recognition and negate the whole
issue)

This leads to a sad realization for those of us that find keypad entry
awkward and unnatural when a typing speed of 20wpm is clearly possible.

David Davies
www.intadev.com

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat