(keitai-l) Re: bulky phone fashion

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 12/09/01
From: "Gustaf Rosell" <gustaf@xpedio.com>

> Does anyone have a clue why all new i-mode and Au phones are so bulky?
> What's the fashion behind this?

Ah, fashion.  I was watching an interview with Tom Ford, who
described his creative modus operandi as follows (paraphrase):

"I walk around, looking at everything, trying everything, until
one day I'm just bored sick of it all.   Then I'm ready to imagine
how it could all be excitingly different again."

So: we've had small.  Let's have big.  Or bigger, anyway.

> It's not really kawaii

Nor, as far as I'm concerned, were white eye-liner, overtanned skin and
cowboy hats.  Especially in combination.

But nobody was asking me.  Or you.

For all we know, head-mounted wearable computers will finally,
truly arrive when women decide that the headgear of the season is
NFL-style football helmets, cellular-equipped.

OK, one possible reason: yes, small is almost always 'kawaii'--including
some of the girlishly small models, pop stars and actresses used to promote
some phones.

So what's a big girl to do?  Shrink?  (And there are more big girls
with every passing year.  It's scary.)

But--a bigger phone can make your face look smaller.

So bigger is smaller.  Ergo, kawaii.  Sort of.

> If you take them apart it's a lot of air inside, and there is no real
> reason for that they should be much bigger than a N503iS.

*Technologists*, trying to understand *fashion*?!?  Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha......

-michael turner
leap@gol.com