(keitai-l) Re: European i-mode will crash...

From: Nicolaj Højer Nielsen <nhn_at_strandconsult.dk>
Date: 12/27/01
Dear Gerhard

It is always interesting to hear from an orthodox i-mode believer.=20

I am very aware that many people around the world worship DoCoMo and =
i-mode, and it many ways they are right to do so. However, my company =
make a living from objectively evaluating mobile operators' strategies =
and from providing advice on how to make money on mobile services based =
on those evaluations - something we do to more than 60 operators =
worldwide.

DoCoMo can teach us a lot about the opportunities in the market for =
mobile services. Operators who generate more revenue from content-based =
services than DoCoMo, and who are seeing their ARPU going up at the same =
time as their acquisition cost goes down, can teach us even more. Those =
operators have created a situation for themselves that DoCoMo has not =
experienced for years.

DoCoMo is using its dominating market position to control the entire =
value chain. They are using its revenue sharing model to ensure the =
development of the kind of content that many operators are not able to =
develop themselves. These strategies are just, when considering DoCoMo's =
share of its market.

All this to say that DoCoMo's market postion is unique and the world =
outside Japan is very different. There is not a single country in Europe =
with the same population as Japan, and European operators will have to =
adapt their strategies according to local variations - something any =
business school will teach students in their first year!

When looking at ways to make money on mobile services, we have chosen to =
look at how 28 operators around the world - including DoCoMo - are =
working with revenue sharing, and what the consequences of different =
models are for different markets. This is what we mean by being =
objective! It is an analysis based on what technologies and competitive =
realities define the markets operators are working in. One such market =
is the Danish with five mobile operators, 5 1/2 million people and a =
penetration rate of almost 70 percent.

Many people, like yourself, are offended when we point out that DoCoMo's =
business case is not as successful as many orthodox i-mode worshippers =
claim. Fact is that many operators are doing much better than DoCoMo. =
Fact is that in those cases content providers are not restricted by a =
proprietary platform and as such, not forced to develop services to fit =
each individual operators' individual platform. I am sure many Japanese =
content providers would very much like it that was the case in Japan.

Perhaps it is time for the mobile world to grow up and take a critical =
look at those they call their heroes.

Best regards

Nicolaj Nielsen, strand consult

www.strandconsult.com