(keitai-l) Re: handwriting as Japanese input method for the keitai

From: Paul Lester <paul.lester_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 01/02/02
    My guess is that :

About 2 years ago, someone in Japan
starting selling a touch screen phone.  It flopped completely.
I think its because of that consumer response that no Japanese
company has tried anything similar with keitais....

    I saw an ad in the US just now for a touch screen keitai.
(I wonder if its the same one).
Perhaps it will flop also, or perhaps not.  Different consumer
base could result in a different response, or maybe not....

    The consumers dislike of a pen and a keitai is probably
why no ones doing it.  Its too bad, perhaps it could work with
some Microsoft marketing (they can sell anything!).

    If a consumer wants it there's always the DREADED pluginable keyboard.
Or you can hook up your PDA to your computer to your keitai and
use it that way.....albeit just as a proof of concept.

    The question I always ask is when and if will "tiny" computers like my Cassiopea,
,"bulky" PDAs, and "normal" keitais (portable phones) combine..... And in what way,
and what do us (and they) (the users) really want.

    Its incredible how archaic phones are in the US.  Its like being
back 2 years ago.  (I'm in the US right now).