(keitai-l) Re: handwriting as Japanese input method for the keitai

From: Christopher Lowery <chris_at_onegoodwindow.com>
Date: 01/05/02
Michael Turner wrote:
> You'd probably need to oversample quite a lot, combining the images to
> simulate adequate resolution.  You know, like how the Hubble telescope was
> hacked to handle that dent in its mirror?  (OK, OK.  But it could be done.)

And has, not least by Play Inc. with the Snappy, which made high-qual
video snapshots by accumulating camcorder frames. (kind of eclipsed by
newer technologies, but hey, still a cool trick.) Maybe all cameras
should have that algorithm available somewhere: "integrate these, please!"
Or would motion artifacts be more annoying than interesting?

> Thumbtyping is a nice cultural match to the modern world--especially the
> modern Japanese world.  I'm always struck, when I watch thumbtyping, by how
> private, and laconic, and physically ... tidy and unobtrusive it is.  Rather
> like the Japanese themselves.  I think thumbtyping is going to be hard to
> replace.  Or even to supplement; there might not be much of a mobile market
> for the kinds of input that thumbtyping doesn't accommodate very well.

The 'thumb keyboard' has got to be the sleeper hit of 2002.
RIM/Blackberry sailed to fortune (and unanimous imitation) on its
head-slapping brilliance. Yet I hope to see fewer buttons prevail
through shift-alt-meta-bucky (or is that [] () >< /\ ?) combos.
Getting rid of mouse/pen speeds things up, but the final frontier
(du jour) is to minimize finger motion. ¡Viva Console!

-chris

Brevity is wit. - W.S.                www.onegoodwindow.com