(keitai-l) Re: handwriting as Japanese input method for the keitai

From: Christian Molstrom <cmolstrom_at_lightsurf.com>
Date: 01/06/02
Have you heard of any user reports regarding the digital pen put out by Ericsson?  http://www.anoto.com/technology/anotopen/

Handwriting has its advantages and disadvantages.  Startup time is fast (pick up a pen and paper), it is highly portable, but
editability and legibility are limited.  There are many people in my office who still regularly jot stuff down on a pads of paper
while working at their computers.

I tried once for a few weeks of making my desk space "paper free," taking all notes and scribbles with a text editor or mail client.
I loved the idea of having total control of my data and a clean, spartan desk to boot.  However this method wound up being too
inconvenient for lots of information types that simply were not worth the overhead of storing on my pc.   I suppose that data life
span, importance, relationship to other data, and so forth should determine the appropriate methods of input and retrieval.

Trivial, short-lived data is essential to us all and just the sort of thing a pen, scrap of paper or notebook is good for.  And for
this kind of data, editablity or legibiltiy are unlikely to be issues of concern.  Or so it would seem still.

Nick May wrote that
"Handwriting is a very inefficient way of inputting a broad range of data.
Now I think about it, I don't handwrite any more even on paper. As for
Japanese kids handwriting kanji?! Ha! - They have forgotten most of it by
the time they are 23..."

I have to admit I don't handwrite nearly as much as I did growing up before the ubiquitous spread of computers.  Nevertheless, I am
probably more frustrated when caught without a pen and something write on rather than a keitai.  Perhaps a strange, and quaint,
statement to some on this list, but I think it is easy to underestimate how much we really rely on low tech scrawling.

Indeed handwriting sucks for large amounts of data.  But consider drawing freehand maps, sketches, diagrams.  These things can be
cumbersome to input into a computer and impossible into a phone (except via photo, and then you have a host of other issues).

There are a few issues here which tend to get muddled up: how to record data (typing, writing, photography, speech), and how to
access it.  Handwriting is very efficient for "inputting" some data types.  But it kinda sucks for data access (scraps of paper,
illegibilty, blah blah).  A digital pen, if it works well, is really just the equivalent of a microphone for a voice or a camera for
the eyes.  Of course displaying handwriting on a keitai would require more computing power than displaying characters for now, but
this only a temporal issue, not a theoretical one.

Christian