(keitai-l) Re: infrared port use on i-mode phones

From: Greg Corrin <greg_at_ym.catv.ne.jp>
Date: 01/08/02
In a DoCoMo shop the other day, I saw the infrared on new phones there, my
ancient P201i (purchased all the way back in summer 2001) doesn't have
one...

so a little research later, I found the standards were proposed in 1997 by
the Infrared Data Association (IrDA)http://www.irda.org/ and backed by
Ericsson, Matsushita/Panasonic, Motorola, NEC, Nokia, NTT DoCoMo, Puma, and
TU-KA - among other who have joined since.

Some design guidelines are here: http://www.irda.org/design/index.asp

I guess the real question is how to make money on infrared, since it
eliminates the middleman (DoCoMo), they probably aren't going to tell you.
Outside of nifty point-of-sale features, is anyone doing anything
interesting with this?