(keitai-l) Re: infrared port use on i-mode phones

From: Jotham Greg-WCGJ01 <wcgj01_at_motorola.com>
Date: 01/08/02
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Curt Sampson wrote:

>I've seen it used on GSM phones for modem connections, replacing a
>serial cable. You can just sit your hand-held PC (or maybe Palm, too)
>down beside it and connect to the Internet or whatever.
>
>I've also seen it used for saving and restoring the phone directory.

Yes - used it for all of those, here in the UK. Also used it to connect a full-size laptop on the train or in a hotel room.  Cheaper than hotel call rates, sometimes even when roaming elsewhere in Europe.  No need to worry about carrying cables and telephone socket adaptors for other countries.  And quite a few hotels have the phone hard wired to the wall: no socket anyway.

It's quite common for reviews of phones to be critical if they don't have IR built in, because people make fairly widespread use of the modem feature.

Greg Jotham