(keitai-l) Re: infrared port use on i-mode phones

From: Tracey Northcott <tracey_at_enfour.com>
Date: 01/09/02
>From: "Greg Corrin"
>I guess the real question is how to make money on infrared, since it
>eliminates the middleman (DoCoMo), they probably aren't going to tell you.
>Outside of nifty point-of-sale features, is anyone doing anything
>interesting with this?

The IrDA port on DoCoMo phones are not able to allow the phone act a
modem with say Palm, Psion etc, however there are some tricky things
possilble.

We are currently playing around with a protocol to allow users to beam
text to a keitai to send as an email - good for longer emails rather than
doing the whole thumbing excercise.

IrDA is quick and convenient for sending and receiving phone numbers from
another phone - ie exchanging phone numbers with a cute guy/girl met
fleetingly when changing trains or at the traffic lights.    :-)

Heard around the traps that models soon to be released, 504?, will be
able to offer PIM functionality and dare I say 'synchronisation'.
Beaming in/out schedules and alarms, memos, saving out sent emails from
the phone to another device.  I haven't heard about the modem
functionality - yet - we can but hope and pray that this will happen.....
  Don't quote me as this is about third hand - perhaps someone can
provide more info here?

I don't see how this would cut anybody out - if anything it would make
people upgrade their phones for increased functionality.

Cheers,
Tracey

Tracey Northcott
VP International Communications