(keitai-l) Interview with AOL Mobile Japan & Vodafone hits 100 million

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 01/22/02
Here is an interview I know will be of interest to Japanese users -
the Asian Pacific Director of AOL Mobile in Japan - ex head of MIT in Japan.

The following questions were asked to RT ~
1) What was your most important lesson learned since joining this Industry?
2) What are your predictions for the Asian mobile internet industry in 2002?
3) In Japan, it appears "Content is King". To what extent, if at all, is
this key to the success of the mobile internet, and to what extent do
Western Operators need to structure their relationships with 3rd party
content provider?

Interesting point raised here, maybe poignant for some on this list :
"In the quest to become an I-mode “official site”, some foreign content
providers fail to realize that they first need mass, then revenues. A site
that succeeds through viral marketing may emerge a success in the longer run
than painstakingly building an “official site”. True, only an official
site is the key for revenues through the DoCoMo billing engine, but if there
are no subscribers/usage, it will all be for naught." RT

Find out his answers here :
http://www.wirelessworldforum.com/w2fnews11480.html

other news
Vodafone hits 100 million subs today