(keitai-l) Re: mInt (Mobile Internet) Product Release

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 01/24/02
Hi Jamie,

> Long time no see!

yes, will be time for the next Keitai Party! But the party team
is spread all over the world right now. Need to check about their
schedule sometimes.

> Just to clarify the point regarding a license for mInt, we didn't want
> to hold the product back whilst documenting the details of a licence.
> But, simple copyright law still applies.

Your offer below is a nice one, and I appreciate that you make
mInt available for download, but the licence is an important missing
information. Everytime if any "free" code provider announces
a licence change, a lot of people hold their breath (or not and
scream loudly). So a missing license makes me insecure about any
limitations of usage...

> By having made the product downloadable you may use this version as you
> wish. I hope you find some good and interesting uses.

Lets say it like this: mInt is an interesting approach and for
sure useful for some people, unfortunately not for us. We at Nooper
developed our own framework to provide information to wireless
devices. Actually we work too long in the wireless business and now
we have a hard time to fill a web site with some information, we just
can not think bigger than the 5kb page size limit anymore :)

Actually the problem I see with mInt is the "write once, use
everywhere" approach. While this works in a perfect world, you
limit the output reception for the users. For example just i-mode
and J-Sky look almost the same, but they are in detail pretty much
different and you need an information rendering which pleases the
user, not the developer of the application.

Personally we made too much user interviews and tests and the results
made us change our initial "write once, use everywhere" approach by
introducing an own "logic tree" how to handle and render the
information for J-Sky, i-mode and the rest.

The applications look and feel "almost" the same, so you don't have
to relearn much if you get older and change your kiddy J-Phone to an
adult i-mode (see Wireless Watch No. 40 From J@pan Inc) one, but
they feel more "natural" on the different networks. And it's all
about feeling, isn't it? :)

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc. Tokyo, Japan
i-mode/FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/