(keitai-l) Re: SOAP and XML-RPC for imode ?

From: Douglas MacDougall <mac_at_gnajp.com>
Date: 01/28/02
> For 'security reasons' (ugh) an i-appli is only allowed to connect to the
> machine (or domain?) from which it was downloaded via HTTP(S).

:) Japan loves security. During the 2000 G8 summit they sent 20,000 police officers to Okinawa (an
island 65 miles long and between 2 and 15 miles wide which already houses upwards 35,000 U.S.
Marines). Needless to say, it was secure. Also needless to say, the "same domain" philosophy is just
silly.

<snip>

> Having said that, as a java & SOAP programming exercise, I developed a 3k
> package which will allow you make simple SOAP calls, and return for you a
> Paramter which contains the server response.  Contact me off list if you'd
> like a copy.

I'm not working with this technology at this point, so I don't need a copy, but I have a suggestion
since you are obviously familiar with SOAP and iAppli, and I'm rather impressed you wrote a 3K SOAP
kit. You could actually start an iappli service, to webservices (?? confused myself on that one ??).
You could write a servlet and/or cgi that could be installed on web servers issuing iApplis. This
servlet could then contact various webservices as a relay for the iAppli. The cool thing is, you
could take the most common web services and shrink wrap them iMode style. Say only make the most
common or required variables available, and do your i/o in  a standard urlencode method
(key1=val1&key2=val2) or a simple stdio method (data<CRLF>data<CRLF>) You could publish the various
interfaces which you make available and even charge for the "relay" and services updates. May not be
that popular in Japan yet, but a lot of developers aren't going to like to write a SOAP interface
and a keitai interface to all of their services. While there is a chance something else could
supplant it, web services are quite likely to become widespread, especially with a little push from
Microsoft.

There are quite a few similar apps that play relay for pop or imap mail accounts, to "hack" the
imode "sercurity". Anyway, I found it interesting that you've actually taken a whack at SOAP on
imode, so thought I'd respond. Disregard as you see fit :)

Douglas MacDougall
GNA Inc. Japan