(keitai-l) Re: SOAP and XML-RPC for imode ?

From: jason pollard <jasonpollard_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 01/28/02
Hi Al,

I don't think there's anything official, i.e. from Sun, Apache, or NTT.
There are several packages out there that may fit your needs.  Search for
names like nanoSoap, PocketSoap, etc.

For 'security reasons' (ugh) an i-appli is only allowed to connect to the
machine (or domain?) from which it was downloaded via HTTP(S).  Also, since
a SOAP envelope is rather verbose, compared to what you can accomplish by
just GETting a URL (e.g. http://www.you.com/i/loginservlet?name=me) , and
the user has to pay a per packet charge, SOAP over an i-appli, while
possible, isn't really feasible at this point.  In addition, a full blown
SOAP spec compatible package, with a XML parser would take up your whole 10K
limit.  I think the smalles I've seen is around 30K

Having said that, as a java & SOAP programming exercise, I developed a 3k
package which will allow you make simple SOAP calls, and return for you a
Paramter which contains the server response.  Contact me off list if you'd
like a copy.

--Jason