(keitai-l) Re: american 1XRTT network goes live, covers 53m u sers

From: Howard Buzick <hbuzick_at_Telephia.com>
Date: 01/31/02
re: Verizon's 3G billing model

The story going around in the U.S. is that Verizon's billing infrastructure
isn't well-prepared for packet-based billing.  Since Verizon is essentially
a conglomeration of various services across the U.S., their current billing
system is essentially one big hack job that unifies the proprietary billing
systems of all of the formerly independent carriers.

As you've already heard, Cingular GPRS (with a very limited release) and
VoiceStream GPRS (quietly operating their nationwide network) are using a
packet-based model.  Once Sprint launches their G3 service, it's broadly
expected that they will as well.

Verizon will presumably offer a packet-based billing model as soon as they
can rework their overcomplicated billing system.

Also worth mentioning, Verizon has launched 1XRTT handset service as well,
using the same WAP gateway as their 2.5G service.  So far, I've seen
handsets by LG and Kyocera, with high-quality ringtone capability.

At least 1XRTT is available in California.  Despite three carriers launching
GPRS networks, none of them are commercial here.  :(

Howard