(keitai-l) J-Phone - from youths to suits?

From: Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 02/04/02
Hi Folks,

An interesting Viewpoint from Wireless Watch this week (Daniel, you're on
this list too aren't you?)

While there's no doubt the corporate mobile data market is underserved in
Japan, I'm keen to hear what you folks in Japan (FYI I'm sitting in rainy
Sydney, ever the black hole for innovative keitai services...) thinks about
J-Phones prospects of becoming the pre-eminent corporate mobile data
provider.

Sure, Vodafone brings a lot to the table, but I wouldn't think its really
that easy to completely re-position itself from THE innovative youth brand
to ditto in the corporate space. Especially not in brand conscious Japan.

For the same reasons why Virgin Mobile could never target corporates (they
know it and would never try - even with Tu-Ka & DDI Pocket), wouldn't
J-Phone have a snowball's chance in hell to re-brand successfully to become
the corporates' choice? Whattayathink?

Cheers,

Daniel Helmer