(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone - from youths to suits?

From: Daniel Scuka <daniel_at_japaninc.com>
Date: 02/04/02
> Sure, Vodafone brings a lot to the table, but I wouldn't
> think its really
> that easy to completely re-position itself from THE
> innovative youth brand
> to ditto in the corporate space. Especially not in brand
> conscious Japan.

I don't believe it's a matter of repositioning an already successful
consumer strategy. In fact, given sufficient corporate bandwidth at
J-P/VF, they will maintain the youth target for the near-term -- it's
just too much of a cash cow to let go.

However, I think VF will have a lot to offer in formulating and creating
a new corporate strategy, and could catch DoCoMo asleep at the switch.
In other words, VF has a real opportunity to create, <I>for the first
time</I> a corporate market here, despite the fact that, as I mentioned
in WW, others are already thinking about this. Fortunately for VF, those
others are (a) relative small players, and (b) not DoCoMo (hence the
title).

Cheers,

--Daniel