(keitai-l) Re: bar code scanners for ketai -- courtesy of McDonald's?

From: Tanya Clark <tclark_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/10/02
Curt Sampson shared:
> Well, I know you had to bring keitai in somewhere, just to keep
> this whole discusson "on-topic" (though an off-topic post being
> culled here seems about as likely as the second coming), but hasn't
> Japan already solved this problem? You walk in to the shop, drop
> your money into a machine, punch buttons, recieve tickets, hand
> them to the person behind the counter, and wait for your stuff.
> Why do we need barcodes or keitai for this?

Yes, Japan has these (although the quality of the
establishments attached *always* seems shabby) but the other
side of the issue is data collection FROM the customer.
Somehow, digitalising all that consumer data (who they are,
where they are from, what they ate, how often, what other
mac's they visit, with how many other people, what there
other buying habits are, etc, etc, etc) would probably have
marketers doing cartwheels (among other things).

And why not McDonalds? They have branches from Cairns to
Oslo and all the way back around. It would be a truly global
collation of consumer habits and marketing opps.

Which is where the keitai (or some kind of mobile connector)
comes in.

best,

Tanya