(keitai-l) Re: bar code scanners for ketai -- courtesy of McDonald's?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/10/02
On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Michael Turner wrote:

> What I see at fast food places like McDonald's: employees don't
> seem to get that it's supposed to be ... well, *fast*.  Counter
> help here seem unable to grasp the concept of handling more
> than one customer at a time -- taking and ringing up an order,
> then asking the next customer in line what they'd like while
> the set is being put together.

Of course not. Starbucks doesn't either, for that matter. But this
isn't limited to Japan; NYC Starbucks are also missing the blazing
efficency of the ones on west coast, where one barista and two or
three cashiers can deal with several hundred orders per hour, in
one of the more amazing displays of piplining I've ever seen.

> Instead of trying to change this culture, why not just get rid of it?
> Customers walk in the door, pick up menus, scan items to buy,
> take a seat, and wait for their numbers to be announced?  (Or,
> hey, call 'em on their keitai -- what a concept.)

Well, I know you had to bring keitai in somewhere, just to keep
this whole discusson "on-topic" (though an off-topic post being
culled here seems about as likely as the second coming), but hasn't
Japan already solved this problem? You walk in to the shop, drop
your money into a machine, punch buttons, recieve tickets, hand
them to the person behind the counter, and wait for your stuff.
Why do we need barcodes or keitai for this?

cjs