(keitai-l) Re: i-appli tweaking

From: <zblut_at_excite.co.jp>
Date: 02/11/02
The CLDC (the base of which i-appli’s and Midlets are built upon) specification discusses these issues.  Basically RMI is not supported, because that requires Reflection, which is not supported.  Also every class that is successfully loaded into a handset must first have passed through a preverifier, which modifies the classfiles and is used to help offload work from the handset in verifying the integrity of a class.  Nor can you make your own Class Loader.  These are all done for reasons of making the JVM lightweight and keeping security in such a lightweight environment.

But there might be a way to load your own bytecode over the network, I can’t say I have tried.  A good place to get some technical discussions on this is Sun’s KVM mailing list.

Zev