(keitai-l) Re: Fuel 3.0 from Pinpoint - v. confusing article from unstrung.com

From: Greg Corrin <greg_at_ym.catv.ne.jp>
Date: 02/13/02
ok, I actually know the Pinpoint product, being from North Carolina
originally.

And I had the opportunity to evaluate their search engine and directory when
looking for a vendor for a now failed desktop Linux company. That was before
Pinpoint changed their marketing tune to focus on wireless.

Basically, they built a great engine and algorithm that lets companies index
only what is relevant to their business. A search on Tiger Woods for
example, turns up golf related material instead of nature and animal sites
and such. So it looks like they tuned the engine to focus on wireless
content.

The engine is written in C and runs on Linux, like Google. Erik Troan, whom
you may know as one of the founders of Red Hat Linux, sits on their
technical advisory board.

All this doesn't make up for their excessive use of marketing flerbage, but
they do actually have a good product underneath.

Cheers,
Greg