(keitai-l) Re: open source keitai tools (was Re: Re: western phone, imode sites...)

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/24/02
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Michael Turner wrote:

> Curt makes a point about licensing that I more-or-less agree
> with: for stuff like this, BSD-style licensing makes it easier to
> commercialize, if commercialization is the way to go in the long
> run.  Is it?  It's a good question, but I won't take it up here.

Actually, though it is easier for someone to commericalize with a
BSD license, that's not my reason for suggesting it. Perhaps I
wasn't clear, but commercial software simply can't use your code
in many common circumstances when it's GPL'd. And if they're not
using it, they're not testing it and submitting bug fixes.

The idea that most people would prefer to keep their changes private
is a bit ludicrous in my mind. It costs *more* money to do so,
because reintegrating your changes every time a new verison of the
public code comes out costs money. You'd have to have some good
reason for spending that extra money rather than just giving your
changes back and letting the public maintain them for you.

cjs