(keitai-l) Re: open source keitai tools (was Re: Re: western phone, imode sites...)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/25/02
So far, it sounds like there's not much out there to
start with.  Why would this be?  It's an odd situation.

Well, here's my diagnosis.  It's a diagnosis from a distance,
since I've done relatively little hacking in this area, sad to
say.  And it might be a view through the wrong end of the
telescope.

It's this: Data is not enough.  Nor are tools in themselves
enough.  The right license might be important, but it's
just meta-data about the system.  An open source solution
has to incorporate tools, plus data --- phone descriptions --
that other (perhaps proprietary) tools can get started
with quickly, under license terms and under a source
management regime that doesn't inhibit or intimidate
people from using it or contributing to it.

You can't execute data.  It doesn't do anything for you.
It doesn't solve any problems.  It just sits there.  It doesn't
commit you to anything.  Open source development is
driven the way all development is driven after the initial
stages: finding bugs, fixing them, adding features that
cause more bugs; all of that requires commitment.  Data
can have inaccuracies, but not bugs or features.  So of
course it's just consumed, and not contributed to.

Tools themselves are not enough.  A zillion little ad hoc
hacks in a tool, such as in an iAppli game developer's
system, for example, do not form a useful description
that can be exported to other systems.

GPL?  BSD?  Artistic License?  If you don't have a
simple, open architecture, it might as well be 6502
machine code.  More important: If you don't have
someone willing to ride herd, do the librarian scutwork,
the thing is dead.

So: committed developers, user-driven data, data-driven
code, all on the same page.  A simple formula, perhaps,
but not an easy one.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com