(keitai-l) Re: open source keitai tools (was Re: Re: western phone, imode sit

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/26/02
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Michael Turner wrote:

> People try to do something with the whole
> system, experience some success, start building things around
> the system, then find that something is wrong.  They request
> fixes, or, ideally, produce them....
> If just data were enough, why do these 'data only' sites
> keep going stale?

Ok, I see now. I agree with that.

> I'd say "less philosphizing, more design"....except that it's
> really, "less philosophizing, more theft."  Much as I love
> writing code, we should really be looking harder at the
> resources people have already turned up, and asking what
> we can start adapting.  It's more about "what to reuse
> and rewrite" than "what to write."

Reuse is good, when you have a good, sufficiently featureful product
to reuse. I'm not sure we do in this case. You've already seen my
comments on ccpp and dice. Cocoon does not do what we need; it's
complementary. I mentioned it because I feel it would be good to
learn enough about it that we can write something compatable with
it.  AxKit looks the same; it appears that our goal would be to
produce a media type choser plugin for it that would be able to
select appropriate stylesheets, and some sort of support for
producing style sheets for specific phones.

cjs