(keitai-l) Re: open source keitai tools (was Re: Re: western phone, imode si

From: Steven Veltema <fish_at_fishyswaz.com>
Date: 02/26/02
From: "Nick May" <nick@kyushu.com>
> - <!--   *********************   -->
> - <!--     all phone fallbacks            -->
> - <!--   *********************   -->
> <device fall_back="root " id="generic">
> - <!--     generic phone    definition here (if appropriate)        -->
> </device>

From a memory/parsing pont of view I can see why "fall_back" is used, but
it's really not very elegant or XML-like.  Why not just make the devices
nestable where children inherit values from their immediate parent?

<device id="default">
    <parameter id="W">W</parameter>
    <device id="imode">
        <parameter id="X">X</parameter>
        <device id="502i>
            <parameter id="Y">Y</parameter>
            <device id="SO502i">
                <parameter id="Z">Z</parameter>
            </device>
        </device>
    </device>
</device>

The only real drawback I can see for this is that parsing it would probably
be memory intensive.  However, the XML file could be used to comple a
handler class and bunch of ResouceBundles along the lines of
java.util.Locale.

Steven Veltema