(keitai-l) Re: spit! spit!

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/26/02
[Me]
> >>there's no system like what
> >>we're talking about.  Self-evidently, it hasn't been
> >>worth people's volunteered time, or we'd have it
> >>already.

[Nick]
> > So - your argument is "the fact it has not been done
> > already means that it is not possible" ?!

<humor>
[Jueeuuurgen]
</humor>
> Come on guys, it's possible....

<humorless>

I didn't say "it's impossible", I didn't even say "it's
not worth it."  I said "it hasn't been worth it".  I chose
that tense for a reason.  Please don't put words in
my mouth.

If anything, I suspect this is good moment to start
on it.  Several factors:

 * No bubble in sight to dangle visions of IPO sugarplums;

 * Handset churn is down, so catching up with new profiles
    (and having to accommodate the foibles of old handsets
    that have been either patched or discarded) is not so
    much of an issue;

 * i-mode launches in Europe may bring in hackers
   from that continent, always (IMHO) auspicious for
   a project;

and

 * if most open source work is "chasing tail-lights",
    these tail-lights are still in view and nobody's hopped
    in front yet.

Would I have commented to the extent that
I have so far, if I didn't think it was at least worth
thinking about?  Would I have assembled a small
digest of resources mentioned so far, if I thought it
was a waste of time?

</humorless>

-michael turner
leap@gol.com