(keitai-l) Re: open source keitai tools (was Re: Re: western phone, imode si

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/27/02
From: "Paul Lester" <paul_lester@lincmedia.co.jp>

> One thing to note with phones is that its a mixed list.
> All NEC phones, Toshiba Phones, Panasonic phones
> (regardless of DoCoMo, JPhone or TuKa) have certain
> quirks in common.

Presumably because they use the same chips or
families thereof.  I.e., what we've been call a 'mobile
device' is better thought of 'a package of mobile devices.'
Including 'browser' as a 'device.'

>     In addition restricting ourselves to DoCoMo, the SO
> phones, D Phones, P Phones of whatever series have certain
> big similarities.
>
>     Now also, the 503, 210 ,211 series have a different set of
similarities.

> So in effect we have 4 superclasses.... Manufacturer (P D F SH ER...)
Series:  (FOMA 503 210
> 501....)
> and Provider: (AU, TuKa, JPhone,  DoCoMo), and also we have
> another clincher, browser;  (EZWeb JPhone and DoCoMo)
> They all are relevant!

Four superclasses in a multiple-inheritance OO framework.
Oh boy.

As a first cut, then, it seems you'd want default characterization
for each of these, subclassing for quirks, bugs and features.

In a relational framework, this is four tables to join, with a fair
amount of redundancy in each table to make up for the
lack of inheritance.  And a fifth table where rows represent
actual handsets.  Breaking it up that way might make it
more manageable.

> These things aren't in synch with each other.  And this excludes Korea,
Taiwan
> and Europe (US is still to far behind to worry about).

Thank god for small favors.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com

> Christian Molstrom wrote:
>
> > On advantage of the inheritance thing is dealing with an
> > device that is unknown to the database.  In such cases you
> > can:
> >
> > 1. return no data
> > 2. return the best fit
> >
> > 1 is not very useful from service point of view, if that is
> > what the aim is.  2 is great because it means that you will
> > at least get information about the device that will
> > (probably) guarantee playable or viewable media.
> >
> > Suppose DoCoMo comes out with a new 212 series.  10 phones
> > are planned, but like always they come out a staggard times
> > over the course of a year.  With the inheritance thing you
> > can have a generic 212 device that will contain profile data
> > not only common to all the 212s but more importantly, data
> > that is the least common denominator of all the phones.
> >
> > In practice would this be THAT useful if developers are
> > diligent in maintaining the data set?  Maybe not.  However,
> > the idea of a system that can deal in some way with an
> > unknown device is appealing.
> >
> > Christian

[snip]