(keitai-l) Re: open source keitai tools (was Re: Re: western phone, imode si

From: Brian Takashi Hooper <brian_at_jiqoo.com>
Date: 02/27/02
Maybe the problem here is in thinking of devices in terms of an inheritance
hierarchy?
An alternate way would be to compose the descriptions of a number of
different but related entities:

<provider name="DoCoMo">
   yadda yadda
</provider>

<maker name="NEC">
  yadda yadda
</maker>

<device name="N503i"
           maker="NEC"
           provider="DoCoMo">
</device>

Something like this is more readable, I think, than any kind of nested
scheme, XML or no.

It might be appropriate to have devices belonging to device families, and
then have the device family be able to specify (by name, or directly inline)
what the generic or default device should be for that family. This would
make it relatively straightforward to provide fallback behaviors.

A lot of this stuff is actually in the CCPP spec, although I think that
maybe (definitely?) it's more complicated than it needs to be.
Something simple would be a better way to start, I think.

Brian Takashi Hooper
Jiqoo, Inc.