(keitai-l) Re: Pain Point or Michael's idea gets reality

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/27/02
Well, maybe.  This still reeks of "non-starter with consumers",
though, if there's no way to get between the input of the
barcode and the generation of the URL.  It shouldn't be
'barcode swipe takes you to website", but rather "site
of your choice takes a barcode swipe and does what
you want with it."

People will want answers to questions like:

"Does this product use something from a company I'm
boycotting?"

"Can I get this product cheaper elsewhere?"

"Does this have some ingredient I don't want to
be consuming, hidden under ingedient-listing
euphemisms?"

These sorts of services could spring up if barcode
input is handled in the most flexible manner.  Producers
and retailers won't like it one bit.  (Except those who
brand image of being forthright is matched in practice
anyway.)

-michael turner
leap@gol.com