(keitai-l) Re: [link] wireless spam.

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 02/28/02
> article on approaches to dealing with wireless spam.
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wi-spam.html?open&l=251,t=grwi

I love this article! A quote:

> Developing from scratch
> All of that being said, what if you want to create your
> mobile messaging controls from scratch, or significantly
> modify whatever mail client you've got? Java 2, Micro
> Edition is very likely the first place you'll look. J2ME
> offers a lengthening track record and a broad range of
> developer experience. In Japan, for example, there are
> roughly 8,000 J2ME or Java apps running on about 9 million
> DoCoMo Java phones. These include a variety of mail clients
> with a sophisticated range of options.
> Phones, especially, are typically married to whatever e-mail
> client was included when they were built, with the client
> burned in as software on the ROM. But J2ME apps can still be
> introduced.

Mhm, how about a typical scenario...lets take Curt's date as
an example: She is annoyed about so much spam on her DoCoMo
handset, but since she owns one of the 9 million Java
capable phone she just starts coding in J2ME or Java in her
commuting time and develops a anti spam software working on
her phone and interacting with DoCoMo's server. After she is
done, she is happy and has more time for her date. Great!
I know that the economy is weak, but do journalists get paid
these days?

This somehow reminds me about the discussions with some
programmers I have to survive every single day:

He: Juergen, I thought, uh, instead of implementing all
these functions you asked us for, we, uh, thought, uh, that
this is not very flexible for the, uh, user. So we discussed
this in the lunch break and, uh, came up with this idea,
here I show you (fiddling around with a handset).
We implemented a command line where the user can run his own
SQL statements, isn't it cool?

Me: No.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc. Tokyo, Japan
i-mode/FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/