(keitai-l) Re: GIFs & Unisys

From: Christopher Lowery <chris_at_onegoodwindow.com>
Date: 03/01/02
dc wrote:
> there are some server side tools that are licenced to produce GIFs, eg
> Generator from macromedia (since discontinued tho I believe).

Oh no, Generator lives and breathes. It's in every Macromedia press
release.

> you could theoretically setup a script to pipe your dynamic RGB graphics
> thru photoshop to clean the license :)

Or use the GIMP. Script-Fu is actually pretty studly. When my last
graphics company came up across the Unisys license, I believe we used
a run-length encoded GIF instead of LZW. Anybody know this standard?

> Unisys really are setting out to
> show by example what a pain patent encumbered technology can be. [snip]
> /dc

I know. Good thing motherhood and apple-pie are open source.
-chris

Brevity is wit. - W.S.                www.onegoodwindow.com