(keitai-l) Journalists suck, programmers suck, now can we get back on topic? (was Re: Re: [link] wireless spam.)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/04/02
The overarching law is Theodore Sturgeon's: when someone
said, at a science-fiction writer's conference, that 90% of
SF is crap, he came back with "Yes, but 90% of everything is
crap."

By some estimates, 80% of software projects come to grief.
Of the the stuff that does go live, maybe half has huge room for
improvement, I'd say.  So the ratio isn't too different.

Journalists may or may not have "an obligation to talk sense",
as Nick says below, but both good talk and bad are at least
cheap.  In the not-too-distant past, software engineers were
part of a bubble that flushed untold billions from ordinary people's
retirement portfolios into the sewer.  (Enron being basically a
soft-ware company on closer inspection, we're not even out of
the woods yet.)  I suppose we programmers can blame all
that on bad journalism if we're really clever, especially on
the supposed "self-censorship" of the media, but for my
money, nothing beats the self-censorship of a start-up
gone rotten while it's in the SEC-mandated quiet period
before an IPO.

So hey, go ahead, cast that first stone.  Just look where
you're reaching for it.  Try the sniff test first.  It might be
something you left there yourself, not so long ago.  It's
certainly happened to me.

Can we get back to talking keitai now?

-michael turner
leap@gol.com