(keitai-l) Re: [link] wireless spam.

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/03/02
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>After all, it is the journalists who will provide much of
>the content as the keitai evolves into something more than a
>cute display for cartoon characters and snappy tunes.

But if that is so, do they not have an obligation to talk sense - or at
least display some knowledge off the subjects about which they write? And
if they do not, are we - who in this area at least DO know a little about
the subject on which they write, not justified  in - indeed obligated to,
state clearly that they are talking yea olde complete crap? Loudly, and,
if appropriate, to the accompaniment of load and prolonged raspberries....
I do not think that *overall*, to date, journalists have contributed one
jot to the growth of wireless.

I guess one's view on all this depends rather on one's view of the role of
journalists as a whole - and the extent to which they fulfill it.

A fairlry eloquent expression of the view to which I subscribe may be
found at

andrew.orlowski quoth....
>Bollogs
>Now as you might expect, no one wishes Big Media to fall as much as us.
>It's often self-censoring, vain and hugely insecure: witness the
>countless guilds and the thousands of awards that journalists here give
>themselves, almost it seems, on an hourly basis. A journalism that
>strives for the social respectability of say the legal profession (stop
>laughing there, at the back!) is almost certainly one that isn't doing
>its job.

....... (snip a couple of paragraphs) ....

>A journalist's true role is like that of the soil microbe, turning things
>over, exposing stuff, bringing in oxygen. Find a hack who aspires to a
>greater social status than that of bacteria, and you're in trouble.

But then I grew up with Private Eye and the Economist.

you continue....

> And it
>is the researchers and consultants who will help take the
>technology into mass markets far beyond these 'toons and
>tunes.

I am all in favour of researchers researching and consultants consulting -
but when they talk "
>Bollogs
", they should be mocked from one shore to the other.

A GOOD journalist is like a bacteria.

So, can we stop polishing apples?

Nick