(keitai-l) Re: Wireless Watch No. 46 (from J@pan Inc magazine) 03/04/2002 [e

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/05/02
>>On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Sam Joseph wrote:
>
>I think you're just being arrogant and dismissive.

Whoa!

Sampson's tone did not strike me in that way. I think you may be
overreacting....

>If a computer
>language is being created in the states and its development is being
>driven by American developers, it seems to be that American developers
>are likely to have an advantage working in it.

This does not follow. Nationality is an irrelevant factor. The control SUN
has over Java is always an issue, but less to be concerned about than, for
example, Windows on the desktop, .NET, etc etc.

>You're inviting us to think that either Java is trivial to become
>proficient in, or that you are such a code god that it is trivial for
>you

He said it took him a MONTH! You can teach most people to do almost
ANYTHING in a month. A month seems reasonable enough. Followed by a
further year to get to a decent level.... Erm - what timescale would you
suggest is reasonable?

>and if the Japanese aren't up to your standard then they deserve to
>lose out, i.e. either arrogant or dismissive.

Mmm - his tone did not strike me in that way.

And when he wrote:

>If the Japanese can't or won't do this, well, they're going to lose
>no matter what language they pick.

I take this to be no more than the thought that if someone can't learn
Java properly in a year, they would have difficulty learning anything to a
decent level. Most of the Japanese guys I know use Smalltalk or Java. They
don't see it as something to wave the flag over....

>I find your argument unpleasant and patronizing, and wish you would stop
>taking that kind of tone because it irritates me and demeans yourself.

Chill out!

>Sure if you only care about short term profits.  I'm not suggesting that
>Docomo should have gone elsewhere.  I'm just observing that comments
>like "the Japanese wireless developers are light years ahead" seem a
>little shallow when they are working with a software platform that is
>from the US.

Why does it render the observation shallow? I don't follow the argument.
It works. It's here. It is in millions of handsets. That's why Japanese
wireless is "ahead". Do you run similarly country based arguments against
people developing for ARM processors (StrongARM now - but originally
knocked together in the UK after just 5 man years of dev...) or Linux
(that Finn...) or Occam, or whatever.... I think DOCOMO will just settle
for taking over the world, if it can - and I doubt it would feel its
victory were hollow 'cuz it used Java... (rather than that fine dev
platform we all know and love, embedded .ruby...*)

>It seems to me that ultimately the wonderful lightyears ahead Japanese
>keitai will end up meaning very little outside Japan.

This is a matter of the most enormous indifference to all those Japanese
who use Keitai in Japan.

> It will become
>just a footnote in the 2015 anti-trust trial of Sun, when 95% of the
>worlds wireless devices end up.  Or not.  At the end of the day like I
>actually care either way ...

You cared enough to write a long and impassioned email. Than you for
caring.

Nick

*(entirely fictional, as far as I am aware...)